In 1945, Clint and Dot (Nana) Congdon, originally from Colebrook, NH, opened Congdon’s Restaurant on Main Street in Kennebunk. The restaurant was a thriving business, but the main reason people kept coming back was Nana’s homemade doughnuts. They later sold the restaurant, moving the doughnut equipment into a barn where they wholesaled doughnuts to area stores.
In 1955, Nana Congdon, and her son-in-law Herb Brooks, built Congdon’s where it sits today. Fried seafood and grill items were added to the take-out menu, but the mainstay of the business was still the doughnuts. In 1962, the Pancake Room Restaurant was added to the property, where “Breakfast Anytime” was its main theme then.